Parks Panther Press

The Student News Site of Parks Junior High School

Parks Panther Press

Parks Panther Press

Mean Girls Review

On Jan. 12, 2024, the “Mean Girls” remake was released. The movie stars actors Reneé Rapp, Avantika Vandanapu, Angourie Rice, Christopher Briney, and Bebe Wood. The most major change that the remake introduced was the fact that it is a musical, inspired by the Broadway play. 

The movie is about a homeschooled student named Cady Heron who moves back to the US after living in Kenya for most of her life. Cady ends up befriending a girl named Janis and a guy named Damien. The two warn Cady about a clique, “The Plastics;” however, she does not heed their warnings. “The Plastics” consists of Gretchen Wieners, Karen Shetty, and Regina George. When Cady is invited to join the group, she learns just how dangerous the power of manipulation can be. We follow her journey as her life spirals into a pit of chaos because of the effects of the group. She begins intentionally failing her classes and manipulating her best friends. In the end, Cady learns to take responsibility for her actions and makes up with her loved ones.

The “Mean Girls” remake, in my opinion, was quite good. I thought that the music in the movie was a large highlight as the songs are catchy and easy to listen to. Additionally, I enjoyed the contrast between how the characters act while singing and while not. In many of the songs, when the characters are singing, the background actors dance along but when they stop, everybody becomes hostile or nonchalant. This quick switch in tone makes the movie very dreamlike and fantastical. Although “Mean Girls” is overdramatized at times and some aspects are annoying, the plot is pleasant to watch as it is easy to follow. Overall, the remake is a lovely watch that is sure to make you chuckle.