Parks Panther Press

The Student News Site of Parks Junior High School

Parks Panther Press

Parks Panther Press

The Hawaiian Wildfires – Path of Destruction

rawpixel.com

On Aug. 8, 2023, multiple wildfires decimated West Maui, becoming one of the worst natural disasters in Hawaii’s history. The destructive wildfires spread throughout the town destroying countless properties and lives.

The 2023 Hawaiian Wildfires were a series of fires that, according to multiple sources, were caused by dry conditions and power lines. According to the site, Fortune, “A drought in the region had left plants, including invasive grasses, dangerously dry.” Then, when Hurricane Dora knocked down power lines, the lines fell on top of dry grass, igniting a fire that later spread across the land. Hawaiian Electric took responsibility for the power lines but faulted the fire department for not containing the wildfire. 

The wildfires have had a massive impact on the towns of Lāhaina, Kāʻanapali, Kīhei, and Kula, with Lāhaina being the most damaged. An estimate of over 2,200 buildings had been destroyed, and many historic landmarks in Lahaina were also destroyed by the fire. Based on an estimation by Reuters, the estimated cost of rebuilding Lahaina is $5.5 billion.  As of now, more than 100 people have lost their lives due to the fires with the death toll likely to increase as rescuers continue to search Lahaina’s burned ruins.