Parks Panther Press

The Student News Site of Parks Junior High School

Parks Panther Press

Parks Panther Press

Matthew Perry: His Life and Death

Matthew Perry, famously known for his prominent role on “F.R.I.E.N.D.S.”, recently passed away on Oct. 28, 2023.  As the actor playing Chandler Bing, he brought many laughs to the table with his witty sarcasm and relatable humor.  Not only this but throughout his career, Perry contributed to several films while connecting to his audience on a humorous and emotional level. Unfortunately, Perry also struggled with alcohol addiction, but was later able to help others with their issues relating to this subject. Of course, Perry’s impact on the world will be unforgettable.

Perry was born in Williamstown, Massachusetts, to American actor John Bennett Perry and Suzanne Marie, a Canadian journalist. As an infant, Perry’s parents divorced and Perry was raised in Ottawa, Canada by his mother. There, he attended Rockcliffe Park Public School and Ashbury College where he became a top-ranked tennis player at the age of 13. P But after relocating to Los Angeles realized that this activity was not a profession for him. According to the Washington Post,  “I thought I was pretty good at tennis and had considered going pro, but then reality hit,” he told the Chicago Sun-Times. “I played against really, really good players there, and there was no way I could’ve made enough to eat as a pro in America. So acting started to look better and better.”After understanding that tennis players in the area were far above his level, Perry turned to acting. In Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles, Perry attended Buckley School and took improvisational comedy classes at L.A. Connection, and soon after, Perry starred in his first sitcom and earliest known role, Second Chance, which was later renamed to Boys Will Be Boys. He then continued to his first major film role as Fred Rob for the film A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon and acquired guest appearances and minor roles on programs such as 240-Robert and Home Free.

During his adult life, specifically 1994-2004, Perry’s career skyrocketed. He got booked for the role he is most known for today, which was Chandler Bing on the popular TV show, F.R.I.E.N.D.S.”  The producers loved Perry, but he was already signed onto another show, so his friend, Craig Bierko, originally got the role. Soon, Perry decided that the role of Chandler was too valuable to let go,  and went back to become cast. He became the famous Chandler Bing, and as his time on the show progressed, he continued to receive more fame from the NBC television sitcom. F.R.I.E.N.D.S.” became one of the most famous shows of all time, being nominated for 62 Primetime Emmy Awards and winning the Outstanding Comedy Series award in 2002 for its eighth season. During this period, Perry also appeared on Ally McBeal in 2002 and received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for his performance in The West Wing and The Ron Clark Story in 2006. His acting career during his adult life blossomed, leading to the man we all love today.

Although Perry was experiencing an enormous amount of success and fame, internally, he was battling an addiction to alcohol and drugs. In his memoir, “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing,” Perry admitted that during his darkest days, he was drinking two pints of vodka each day in conjunction with up to thirty pills. Due to his addiction, Perry mentioned how his colon exploded in 2018, putting him in a coma for two weeks, and his heart stopped in 2022. He also admitted in his memoir that he attended 6,000 Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and entered rehab 15 times. He has been completely sober since 2021. Later in his life, he overcame his addiction to drugs and became sober in 2021. 

Matthew Perry made a huge impact on the television industry and thousands of people who loved his character. Unfortunately, on Oct. 28, 2023, he passed away. Since his death was recent, some information has not yet been released to the public. However, what has been confirmed is that he died from drowning in his hot tub after he suffered a heart attack right before he died. After the announcement of his death, celebrities and fans have been mourning the loss of this beloved “F.R.I.E.N.D.S.star. 

Perry’s life was extremely valuable to many.  In a joint statement to PEOPLE Magazine, his five costars, Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, and David Schwimmer,  shared, “We are all so utterly devastated by the loss of Matthew. We are more than just cast mates. We are a family. There is so much to say, but right now we’re going to take a moment to grieve and process this unfathomable loss.” Although Perry has perished, we can still laugh at the remarks of Chandler and enjoy all the other films he entertained. His loved ones recently began the “Matthew Perry Foundation,” which helps those who are struggling with substance abuse.  These efforts build on Perry’s passion for helping others, noted by how he transformed his former home in Malibu into a sober living facility called the “Perry House.” According to Time Magazine,  “I would like to be remembered as somebody who lived well, loved well, was a seeker,” Perry said in the 2022 interview.  This is yet again another example that even after his death, the mark Perry left during his life will forever be remembered.