Parks Panther Press

The Student News Site of Parks Junior High School

Parks Panther Press

Parks Panther Press

Is Dance an Art or a Sport?

Is Dance an Art or a Sport?

Is dance considered an art or a sport? Of course, dancing in your living room for just a few minutes doesn’t count. People have argued about this topic for a long time, but it may not be as controversial as you might think. The answer to this question is simple: dance could be considered as both an art and a sport. 

What makes dance an art? The creative expression and emotion shown by dancers make it an art. Dance allows people to express themselves without feeling judged; it also involves performing for an audience and is a form of entertainment. It could also be considered an art form because it is appealing to the eye and sends a message or tells a story to the people watching.  For example, during the winter time, big studios and companies often put on the “Nutcracker” ballet. The show tells a story about a girl named Clara who was gifted a nutcracker for Christmas and how the nutcracker comes to life and takes her on different adventures. Through dance, this classic story is told in beautiful and interesting ways.

What makes dance a sport? Dancers train countless hours, exercise, and stretch just as much as other sports would if not more. Personally, as a competition dancer, I have classes and practice every day for about 2-5 hours. Some dancers train way more than that though. Dancers also have just as high a risk of injuries as other athletes. Athletes play games and compete against other teams to hopefully win and succeed by the season’s end; it is the same thing with most dancers. 

Even though dance is a performing art, it also falls under the sports category as dancers work hard and train.