Parks Panther Press

The Student News Site of Parks Junior High School

Parks Panther Press

Parks Panther Press

Should Students with Failing Grades go to High School?

After junior high, high school is the next level of education that catapults you into college or a career. However, how well would you do in these institutions if you cannot get passing grades in your junior high classes? In my opinion, kids with failing grades should not move up to high school. 

If a junior high student has a low GPA, how well will he or she do in high school and life? If these kids are allowed to move to the next grade level, this sets a bad example that you can be lazy but still have the opportunity to move on with other students who worked hard for the past two years. Also, kids who have low grades in junior high will not be ready for high school and will ultimately be set up for failure. Students’ junior high grades show what level they are in for certain subjects and if they go into high school without the foundation in these subjects, they’re going to continue to fail. If a student doesn’t reach a certain GPA by 8th grade, he or she should stay back and relearn it, before moving on to high school. Since high school grades will impact a student’s college acceptances and future, students should take the time in junior high to gain the knowledge and skills they need before it affects them permanently.