Parks Panther Press

The Student News Site of Parks Junior High School

Parks Panther Press

Parks Panther Press

Who is Beyoncé?

Beyoncé Giselle Knowles is a record-breaking American singer-songwriter. Born on Sept. 4, 1981, in Houston, Texas, she grew up in Houston’s Third Ward. She attended Parker Elementary, Alief Elsik High School, and the High School for Performing and Visual Arts. When she turned 15, she dropped out of high school to become a part of the girl group, Destiny’s Child. 

After receiving a Columbia recording contract, she, alongside groupmates Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams, released their debut album, “Destiny’s Child.” Throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s, the girl group gained worldwide fame and released hit songs such as “Say My Name” and “Survivor.” In 2004, their album, “Destiny Fulfilled” sold more than seven million copies. However, a year later, while on tour, Destiny’s Child announced they would be disbanding. 

Afterward,  Beyoncé embarked on a solo career and released her debut album, “Dangerously in Love.” Her album ended up selling over five million copies and brought a new level of fame and status to the singer. The following year the album won Beyoncé five Grammy Awards and topped world charts. Since her debut album, Beyoncé has continued to make global hits such as “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)”, “Crazy in Love,” “Break My Soul,” and most recently, “Texas Hold ‘Em.” Currently, she is promoting her new album, “Cowboy Carter,” and working on her hair care line, Cécred.